skip to navigationskip to main content

Brighton Office: 01273 202311

Wimbledon Office: 020 8946 1212

Self Assessment Tax Return Services

Here at Hartley Fowler, our dedicated team offers tailor made Self Assessment tax return services to meet the unique needs of our diverse portfolio of clients.

Our specialist Self Assessment tax return accountants provide comprehensive services for:

  • Individuals and sole traders
  • Partnerships
  • Limited Companies

The Benefits of Professional Self Assessment Tax Return Services

It is essential that your personal tax Self Assessment is completed correctly and filed on time. If you fail to do so, you may face penalties or HMRC making extensive enquiries regarding your tax position.

Our Self Assessment tax return services provide peace of mind in the knowledge that we will:

  • Accurately complete your personal tax Self Assessment
  • Submit your return to HMRC within the deadline
  • Retain backup records for the appropriate period of time

Expert Self Assessment Tax Return Accountants

As well as completing your return, we can take the worry away from you by assisting with:

  • Advice and guidance on your tax liabilities, ensuring that you are aware of your obligations
  • Support in negotiating with the collecting tax authorities, if necessary
  • Identifying valid tax planning opportunities to optimise your tax position
  • Completing all the necessary tax computations
  • Dealing with all correspondence from HMRC in a timely manner, saving you hassle

Choose our Self Assessment Tax Return Services

If you have any questions about our services or need further advice, please call us today:

Self Assessment tax return – Wimbledon office: 020 8946 1212
Self Assessment tax return – Brighton office: 01273 202311

Alternatively, book in for a free consultation with a member of our personal Self Assessment tax return team..

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you need an accountant for a Self Assessment tax return?

This will depend entirely on your personal circumstances. If you’re a freelancer with uncomplicated finances, self-filing might be feasible. Nevertheless, enlisting the expertise of a Self Assessment tax return accountant can offer valuable benefits such as:

Give you financial advice 
Provide peace of mind 
Check your bookkeeping to ensure that all sales and expenditures have been correctly identified. 

Do I need to register for Self Assessment?

If you need to complete a Self Assessment tax return and have not submitted one before, you will need to register by 5th October. To check whether you need to send a tax return before registering, click here

Do I need to do a Self Assessment if I am not self-employed?

Typically, individuals won’t need to submit a Self Assessment unless they are self-employed. However, exceptions exist, and you may be required to do so if you:

Receive income from land or property in the UK 
Receive taxable foreign income above £300
Sell shares, property or other assets that are subject to Capital Gains Tax
Are the director of a company 
Have an income over £100,000 per year
Receive any taxable income which hasn’t been taxed.

What information do you need for a Self Assessment tax return?

Before applying online, you’ll need:

Your ten digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)
Your NI number
Details of your untaxed income from the tax year
Records of any expenses related to self-employment
Any contributions to charity of pensions that might be eligible for tax relief 

When do I have to complete a Self Assessment tax return?

You are obligated to file a tax return if you’re self-employed and have received a ‘notice to file’ from HMRC instructing you to do so. Additionally, if you have any untaxed income, you may also be required to complete a tax return. Common situations where this might apply include if you:

Are a partner in a business 
Are a company director and have income on which tax is due that is not taxed under PAYE
Have property income
Want to claim tax relief on employment expenses over £2,500 per year 
Have to pay a tax charge on your child benefit 
Have untaxed savings income 
Have capital gains tax to pay 

Discover more about when a self assessment tax return is required, here.

How do I work out my Self Assessment bill?

Your Self Assessment bill comprises both Income Tax and, if applicable, National Insurance (NI). HMRC determines your Income Tax liability by summing up your taxable sources of income and subtracting any allowable expenses, applicable capital allowances, other allowances, and your personal allowance for the year.

Depending on the sources of your income, you may also be required to pay National Insurance. For self-employed individuals, two types of NI, namely Class 2 and Class 4, are mandatory. HMRC factors in any previously paid taxes while deducting the amount from your Income Tax and NI total to arrive at your final bill.

Can I amend my Self Assessment tax return after I have submitted it?

If you’ve already filed your initial tax return online, you can make amendments using HMRC’s Self Assessment portal within 12 months of the deadline. In the case of paper tax returns, please contact HMRC to request an SA100 form. After obtaining the form, you’ll be required to send the corrected pages to HMRC for processing.